Disclaimer by the Author of this website

Disclaimer :
This website is developed only for the purpose of author's self learning repository or to keep track of author's self knowledge base . It has nothing to do with the IBM Cognos knowledge bank or the functionality and working of the software used in the topic discussed. The author will not have any liability on the non-working of any of the solutions mentioned in the topic. This website is completely a personal asset of the author and should not be treated as any official learning or repository base. The development of this website (blog) is completely for the non-commercial purpose.

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Write Back to database through cognos 8 series interface !!!

Problem Description :
There are requirements from the client to have the facility to write back to the database specially to capture user input in the form of comments from cognos Report studio .
There is no direct facility to capture user input in cognos 8 series and the solution is a work around for write back in cognos with limited scope.

In Cognos 10 adding user comment is a new inbuilt feature , so this description is helpful for Cognos 8 users.

For Cognos 10:
http://www.citagus.com/citagus/blog/collaboration-in-cognos-10-comments-in-saved-report-output/


Solution Description :
The solution is designed for Cognos Report studio with Oracle Database . It uses stored procedure ( containg input parameters to capture users comment and uniquley identify the record ) returns the resultset in the form of cursor.
The created stored procedure and the table to be updated is imported in frame work manager . The package is published and  two reports are bulit using them .
The first report say "Report_1" is designed ( the source of this report is table which is to update ) with a drill through to second report say "Report_2" ( the source is Stored Procedure which updates the table ) .
In the drill through column of the first report we will pass the dataitem value to identify the unique record and give the option of "Do not pass the parameter" for the comment section. Due to above setting the procedure which accepts the parameter of uniquely identifying the record and comment parameter will wait till the user gives the input in the comment section .
Once the user gives the comment input through the pop-up screen which appears due to the drill through facility and clicks ok , the input is updated in the table through stored procedure and the output result set is returned in the form of cursor.
 Solution Tools and Database used:
Oracle 11i , Cognos 8.4.1


Solution Screenshot:







Acheivement : 


A Technical solution design paper was published by me on this topic.
The solution was well appreciated by the client and also, by the technical experts.


Solution Details :
Will be shared on email on demand.
Leave your comment with email id to view its solution.




54 comments:

  1. hello govind
    i allready write to you yesterday about sharing
    solution details but forgot to put my email
    address:
    emails4ayelet@gmail.com
    we will appreciate very much your help.
    our company have a lot of users who need the
    facility of write back to database.we are using cognos 8.4 and sqlserver 2008.
    regards,
    ayelet ronkin from egged transportation company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi .. I have sent you the email on june 1. I have developed the solution for oracle database. For SQL server you can find the code in cook book also ,

      Hope that helps..

      Delete
  2. Hello Govind ,

    Really it very nice i am appreciating you. Same solution i need develop in my project ..so can you please share this solution details with me
    My Email id: mvn.balu@gmail.com.

    Thanks & Regards
    balaji

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi .. Shared the solution on your email..

      Thanks
      Govind

      Delete
  3. Hi Govind ,
    I need to create write back option in cognos 10 can u guide me how to achieve this please

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Govind,

    I have a requirement where the user needs to delete the records from the database. The solution which you have mentioned will be very helpful. Can you please share the same : dsg.cognos@gmail.com

    Thanks
    dsg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your posting , which helped me to join cognos online training @ www.monstercourses.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Govind ,
    I have the same requirement to develop the report can u guide me how to achieve this please. please provide the solution or mail to this id srikanthshonti@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Govind,
    Can you share your Idea with me? I have a requirement for similar Request.
    mahejntu@gmail.com
    Appreciate your help.

    -Mahe

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello Govind
    im intersted if i could create a report studio 10 that will enable a user to update a specific table from oracle that used in the same report studio output.

    thanks in advance
    guybm10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Govind,
    I do have the same requirement(Write back to Database) in my project. Could you please share me the solution with me.

    Appreciate your response.

    samgovind@gmail.com

    Thanks,
    Govind

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Govind,
    Can you please forward the solution to me? I will be thankful to you.

    thanks,
    Suresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suresh,
      Your email ID pls..
      Regards,
      Govind

      Delete
  11. Hey Govind,

    Can you please send the solution to myself at namlee@gmail.com

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. can you please send me the solution at keerthana.ak@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Govind,

    Could you please send the solution as steps and how you achieved this in cognos 8 as I have the same requirement in my project?

    Thanks,
    Raghav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry forgot to give my id in the above message. It's t.sudharsan@gmail.com

      Delete
  14. Hi,

    Was looking for a similar solution for my project, can you please share the code with me, my id sreeparam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could you send me the solution? mailmic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please send me this solution (does it write multiple values to database at once?): katoji@yahoo.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. can you send it hkg198282@gmail.com please

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi govid,

    can you please send it to pavankumar.kandimalla@gmail.com

    similr kind of functionality needed, but we have to deliver the reports with in the 5 days. please help me

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi govid,

    Could you please send it to mtkoua99@gmail.com? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Govind,
    Could you please send the solution to akshay0205@gmail.com

    Appreciate your help. Thanks

    Akshay

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Govind,

    Can you please send me the solution to mounika.g@ge.com
    I had same requirement to complete.

    Thanks,
    Mounika

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Govind,

    Can you please send the solution to myself at dudik.miro@gmail.com

    Thanks a lot!

    Miro

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Govind,
    Can you please email me the solution to monisha4b9@gmail.com


    Thanks a lot!1

    Regards
    Monisha

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Govind,

    Your solution looks great. I am also facing a similar situation. I am also using Oracle DB. I would really appreciate if you could share the solution with me. My email id is sharma.parin@gmail.com

    Thanks a ton
    Parineeta

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Govind,

    Please share the solution. I have same requirment in my project as well.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Navdeep Kaur

    email : navdeepkaur.bhamra@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Govind if you would be so kind as to share this with me? Is there any changes needed for C10, or does it work as expected in 8 or 10? Thanks!

    jsj674@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Govind ,
    Please share the solution .
    Email Id monigarishiva@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Govind!
    Please share the solution!
    Email: elinigor27@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi govind,

    can you please share the solution on chitresh86@gmail.com

    thanks
    chitresh

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Govind,

    can you please share the solution on gprcog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Govind,
    Can you please share solution on shivaram.bi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Govind,
    I am facing the same issue for which you have a solution....I am working on Oracle Database...Can you pls share the code so that I can use it at my end....Its urgent..
    Hoping a positive response...
    Regards,
    Sandeep

    ReplyDelete
  33. My Email ID is nairsandeep8688@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Govind,

    Could you please send the solution to my email? at pwkoot@gmail.com


    Thanks,
    James

    ReplyDelete
  35. sorry, forgot to inform you in my earlier post that I need the oracle solution. btw, that's a brilliant solution you have there for a cognos write-back. Cheers.

    pwkoot@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Could you please send the solution to my email? at chitramadabushI@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. can you please share it to the mail id shiva.ababsap@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. could you please share to mayuri.bandaru@gmail.com.
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Govind,
    Can you please share the solution with oracle,need urgently!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Govind,
    Can you pls. share the code as looking for the cognos write back in oracle database...

    Need urgently!!!!!

    This is my email: lanyprasad@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am using cognos to write in Oracle database and it is not working would you please send me the solution doc! My email is dipensunu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am using cognos to write in Oracle database and it is not working would you please send me the solution doc! My email is dipensunu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi, Could you please share the solution as we have the similar requirements? My email is tedliu2000@gmail.com

    Thanks a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi, Could you please share the solution as we have the similar requirements? My email is yogiraj01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hey Govind,

    Can you please send the solution to myself at gazitshahar@gmail.com

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Govind .. Can you please share the solution we have the similar requirements praveensakhamuri007@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Govind .. please share the solution we have the similar requirements rpachava@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Govind, my email is bisret@gmail.com , can you please share the solution.

    ReplyDelete